Iron Goat Trail
Where trains once thundered, volunteers
are now constructing a historic recreational trail. The Iron Goat Trail goes eight
miles through lovely forests of ferns, alders and evergreens from Martin Creek to
the Wellington townsite and trailhead. The trail from Wellington to Windy Point Tunnel
is barrier-free and there is another two and a half mile barrier-free segment near Martin Creek.
The Iron Goat Trail work party calendar is available on VOW's online
calendar. And mark your calendar for VOW's annual Volunteer Vacation in mid-July.
See the Volunteer Vacation
Homepage for details.
Construction and maintenance work parties meet at the Scenic, Wellington or
Martin Creek trailheads. See below for directions to trailheads and Bothell Park
and Ride (for carpoolers).
Getting to the Iron Goat Trail via the Martin Creek Trailhead:
Getting to the Iron Goat Trail via the Scenic Trailhead:
- Take the Stevens Pass Highway, U.S. 2, to Milepost 55, 6 miles east of the town of
Skykomish or to Milepost 58.4 at Scenic (5.6 miles west of the summmit).
- Turn north on to the Old Cascade Highway, U.S. Forest Service (USFS) Road #67.
- Proceed to the junction with USFS Road #6710 (2.3 miles from Milepost 55 or 1.4 miles
from Milepost 58.4).
- Turn onto USFS Road #6710 and proceed 1.4 miles to the Martin Creek trailhead parking
Getting to the Iron Goat Trail via the Wellington Trailhead:
- Take US 2 to MP 58.3. Turn north onto the Old Cascade Highway, then turn immediately right into the Iron Goat Interpretive Site.
Getting to the Bothell Park and Ride:
- Drive U.S. 2 to Milepost 64.4 just west of Stevens Pass and turn north on the Old
Stevens Pass Highway. (If you are coming from the Puget Sound area, because of limited
sight distance you should proceed east to Stevens Pass, turn around at the crest of
the hill where visibility is optimum, and return to Milepost 64.4)
- Proceed 2.8 miles on the Old Stevens Pass Highway to its junction with the USFS Road
- Turn right and proceed to the trailhead parking lot.
- Also see the Iron Goat Homepage at www.irongoat.org.
From the East Side:
- Follow Lake City Way until it becomes Bothell Way.
- From Bothell Way go straight on Main St.
- Turn right on 102nd Ave. NE, then in less than block and before the bridge, turn left
into the Park and Ride.
- Just west of the intersection of I-405 and SR 522 on Bothell Way, at the light, Kaysner
Way angles to the right.
- The entrance to the Park and Ride will be on the left. To view a map of the Bothell
Park and Ride click here.
Attention Carpoolers: On Wednesdays meet in the westernmost part of the lot,
and towards the easternmost part of the lot on Saturdays. Due to the higher cost of
fuel, riders are now asked to contribute $8 for gas to their driver.
Questions on anything Iron Goat? Please contact the VOW office at 206 517-3019
-- Member of Earth Share of Washington and
the American Hiking Society --